09 July, 2011

The Color Wheel of a Seventh Birthday


Color, color and color, white, pink, red, orange, yellow, blue, green.... The birthday party was so full of color that even though it was raining outside no one seemed to notice especially me. As guest arrived at the party they were greeted out front by a huge balloon arch that my husband and dad put together as well as a handmade welcome sign that my son made all by himself.

Hiding in our carport was the highlight of the party. My mother so kindly spent her morning filling dart balloons with tempera paint for the dartboard. The filled balloons were attached to a piece of foam board covered by huge sheets of white paper for the kids to throw carnival darts at in the hope to pop them. I've heard this was a interactive art exhibit featured at Woodstock but not being able to attend I cannot confirm that fact. You can also see the art in action in Disney's Princess Diaries the movie. The kids just couldn't get enough of the dart throwing and continued to go to the end of the line so they could have yet another chance. My poor husband stood out there for over an hour until every balloon was gone.
The results came out awesome and I used the painting as a backdrop to take a picture of all the kids. We ended up using the printed picture as our thank you cards which turned out awesome.

To fill the three hours of fun we had many activities for the kids to do and I loved that almost everything we did resulted in another goody for the kids to take home in their party bags. In the kitchen we had fabric pens and art aprons for the kids to decorate although I did not know that seven-year olds are too cool for art aprons. No matter they still seemed to enjoy the coloring and we had a lot of fun results. (I can't find a picture of the aprons right now so I'll take a new one to add to this post later.)
The other favorite at the party was making sand pens. I found these great kits at Tuesday morning and although they needed some super glue modifications all the kids from 3 to 7 were able to make some amazingly fun pens. I ordered some extra black sand from Ebay and it worked great at making the other colors of sand pop. I just love the super bright colors don't you?

The kids also had a great time playing Pictionary. A friend of mine suggested this game for the kids and they had a blast drawing and screaming. We set up a art easel at the front of our living room and each of the kids took a turn. Thank goodness for my husband who is a pack rat and happened to save his Junior Pictionary from his childhood. It was such a hit that my kids want to play this all the time now.

One of my favorites was the set up of the food table. We have a set of bright colored bowls so Max and I decided to fill each with a matching colored food, covered the table with brown craft paper and set the table to resemble an artist's palette. It turned out better then I could imagine. Take a look.

The day was so much fun and the party was a complete success as far as Max and I were concerned. We hope you enjoy it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment