19 July, 2011

Homemade Game Shows

My mom is a huge party thrower and by far one the best hostess I have ever known. When we were kids her and my dad were known for their yearly party that featured a huge scavenger hunt throughout the house and the neighborhood. I remember months of planning just to have our house turned upside down by crazy adults in search of a win. But as they got older and injuries became common in the game she said goodbye and began to welcome in the Annual Johnson Family Fourth of July.

Whatever the event's title a good time, tons of food, an amazingly fun game, entertainment for all ages and GREAT family and friends has always been the lesson she has taught me. This year's Family Fourth was no exception. In past years she has hosted a carnival, a poker tournament, The Price is Right, Wheel of Fortune and so many more that I can't remember them all. What I do recall though is all the fun we have in hand making the games. The picture you see here is a 4-5' by 4-5' plywood board hand painted by me to resemble the famous Family Feud. My brother always handles the technical side and this year he made a time sensitive buzz in button so that the two teams could face off like the real show. My folks are the ring leaders and run the show during the big day and this year my dad was quite lively especially during the final speed round of answers.

Over the summer if my folks clean out their garage I'll try to take pictures of the "Cliff Hangers" game and "Wheel of Fortune" that I helped hand paint too. Somewhere in there is a "Plinko" board as well but I'm pretty sure all I did that year was help spread some glitter.

I'm trying really hard as my son gets older to talk him into having a game show birthday but to no success. Maybe I should just give up on him and here in a few years host a fun fortieth for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment