09 July, 2011

Meyer Lemon ART Cake


Well the paint has dried and the thank you notes are being written but the thrill of the party will be remembered for a long time.

Two tiers, six layers of vanilla cake, homemade lemon curd filling and butter cream frosting made this cake delicious. To my amazement almost all of our seven-year old party goers loved it too. A few however were much happier eating the sugar cookie palettes and brushes and in the end if I had it to do again I would have made a sugar cookie palette for all to eat as they were quite the hit.

The best part of this cake for me however was the ability to almost throw the frosting onto the cake as it was suppose to represent spattered paint. I used about five different frosting tips to create lines and marks to represent paint, pencil, ink and spatters. It did not turn out quite as I had imagined the paint spatters to look but in the end the cake had a lot of character and my son loved it so we'll call it a success. I've noticed as the years go by my skills are getting better but the cakes for my kid's birthdays never turn out quite as good as my imagination pictures them. Sigh...

Nevertheless all but a few pieces was eaten and it must have been a good cake (and party) as we found the blue frosting in many hidden places in our home including the back sides of our family room sofa cushions.

No comments:

Post a Comment