21 June, 2011

A Family Room fit for All

This past weekend we had Max's ART party but unlike some of the past years the location for 2011 was our house. We've lived here in this 1951 modern style home for slightly over one year and the remodel adventure continues but we have also conquered so much. I think it is easy to forget what you have done in life when you think about all that you have left to do. I get so focused on the kitchen needing an update that I easily forget that we have finished the home office, tackled a new furnace and water tank with a remodeled space for it's new location, overhauled the family room (including a new cork floor that we LOVE) and are currently digging out the backyard and relocating a lot of it to the front yard. Above is a picture of the finished version of the family room although I'm still debating painting that ivory wall yellow too and the lighting issues have yet to be resolved in this room.


When we moved in we called this room the blue sea because there was so much blue carpet. I knew moving in that I would want to carpet to go as soon as possible. Not only was it not an appealing color but it had stains in every corner area. The other issue with this room is that it use to have double glass doors leading into the master bedroom on the wall that now houses the television. There were two issues with this for me. The first was that we had no privacy in the master suite (which has a second entrance in the hallway) and two was that by having the doors we had no full walls in the family room. I love the full glass window walls but you also need some space for living.

As you can see in the pictures we use one side of the room as a tv and adult space but the other half is all for the kids. Our final goal is to build a loft on their side being the ceilings are so high and the space is just too good to pass up.


It felt pretty good to have party going parents tell us how much they loved the house and what a great space we had. Making my house a home full of funky, artsy, graphically pleasing spaces is a huge goal of mine. I want my kids and guests to know we are a family of artists and it is okay to fill your home with crazy fun items that either have good memories and meaning or just look so darn cool. I plan on painting a grandfather clock on the wall in this room and hanging a simple wall clock at the top so I'll be sure to make a post to share the idea and the process with you all when I get there. I'll also continue to bring you updates on the house's progress as it moves along.

No comments:

Post a Comment