27 May, 2011

ART Party!!! Invitation

I have missed writing and sharing with you this week (so much!) and it's a three day weekend but I had to squeeze a few posts in before the weekend officially begins. Plus my husband is back from his week long business trip and I have passed the parenting duties off to him, maybe for the whole three days.

The first thing I want to show you is how great Max's seventh birthday invitation is coming along. It is so perfect for him and for the kind of artist he currently is. The hardest part is that I don't get to do what I want anymore. In fact for this year he drew hand sketches before I even started designing on the computer so I could have an idea of what he was thinking. Whew. I have said it before and I'll said it again he is hands down the hardest client I have ever had to work with. I think what makes it even harder is that he is just like me and sometimes that means we don't see eye to eye artistically. 

My favorite element he came up with is the ripping of the paper to reveal what is inside. Then inside the card we are planning on repeating the images with more text around "You're invited" so it feels as though you are simply seeing straight through. I'm also thinking another great idea would be to print this on the envelopes and then have the card inside be a postcard with the repeating image. Hmmm. Any opinions you have or other ideas? Please share with me and Max.

I've also started putting the party together and Max chose a very messy paint activity he saw in the Disney movie The Princess Diaries. I don't know that it has a particular name but you add paint to blown up balloons and hang them across the large mural size paper then you throw darts at them allowing the paint to explode on the canvas. We'll definitely need to purchase some rain ponchos or large garbage bags to cover the kids with. Here is a picture to give you an idea of the process. The image is from Duke University's Intro to Visual Practice, Fall 2010 students, a great blog on exploring, sites.duke.edu/artsvis54_01_f2010/. My final plan for the mural is once all the kids have had a few throws of the darts we'll then take everyone's picture in front of it and I will make Thank You notes from the image.

The party goers will also be using kits that I found at Tuesday Mornings to make giant tube, colored sand ballpoint pens. I couldn't beat the price and it is something that can be taken with in their goody bags. I am also buying individual art smocks for the kids and they'll use fabric pens or paint to decorate the smocks. Again another take home goody. The last idea we have so far is Max wants mom to pull out one of her Elementary School art lessons to teach to the kids. Not sure how that will go at a party but I'm trying to find a crazy one to keep their interest.

I just love planning parties especially kid themed parties. I'll keep you updated as we go and in a few weeks I'll be sure to post pictures of all the happenings.

If you have a terrific idea for the art party please leave it as a comment to this post. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment