28 May, 2011

Science Fair Catapult

In my last post to catch up from a busy week I want to share our biggest design challenge for the week. With my husband out of town it was full for the rest of us with school, work, Boy Scouts, T-ball, after school art and a science fair. I'm exhausted just thinking about it. But the catapult project turned out awesome and the response he had to it at the fair was fantastic. It was a crowd pleaser for all.

Max and his Dad spent Saturday building the catapult before he left and then him and I worked the rest of the week on everything else you see. We worked hard researching and testing and following the scientific method when discussing the Tension Catapult but by far the hardest part of the project was the display. My son had very particular ideas about how it should look and although I cut out the majority of the scrolls that hold the information he made sure that they went where he thought they looked the best. He did an excellent job and we had such a good time that I hope he chooses to participate next year.

 I loved that when we were working on the project I started to explain what a hypothesis was to my son when he stopped me and said of course I know what a hypothesis is. I asked him to tell me what it was then and sure enough he knew. I don't think there was a chance when I was in first grade that I would have known what a hypothesis was.

No comments:

Post a Comment